Effect of moving system databases

• I want to move the systems databases on a different drive in Win2K/SQL Server 2000. Replication has been setup with publishing and local distribution on the server. I wanted to know if there are any special considerations before moving the system databases. I want to take care that replication does'nt break.

Thanks in advance

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I have moved system databases, but not where replication is involved.  However, I do not see how replication will care where the database files are physically located.  One of the main functions of a DBMS is to mask things like physical file locations from application activities.

In order to move the system databases, you will have to make sure there are no connections to them.  This may mean you have to stop replication prior to the move, then restart it after.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I don't think changing where the system tables are will affect replication. The only problem I can think of that you could run into would be detaching and reattaching the system databases. Some replication information is kept in some of those tables (I believe the sysobjects table).

These opinions are mine and may be completely incorrect. Always make backups of your information before making any changes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply