Edit/View maintenance plans and jobs with SQL Server Management Studio Express

• Is it possible to view/edit maintenance plans and SQL Server Agent Jobs with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express?

If so, what permissions must I give the login?

Thanks in advance for all of your replies!

jim

• Definitely can't view/edit SQL Server Agent Jobs.

How about maintenance plans?

Thanks,

jim

• just use the sps -

sp_help_job

sp_help_jobhistory

sp_help_maintenance_plan

Cheers,

Todd

• I get an error when attempting to call those stored procedures, even from the server. Maybe they have been depreciated for SQL Server 2005?

Thanks,

jim

• I recieved the error because I wasn't calling the stored procedure correctly.

Thank You SO much Todd!

• We just installed SQL 2005 server. It works fine (allows to setup backup jobs, create other jobs etc).

I also installed MS SQL Management Studio Express on my PC to access the server remotely. Connecting under SA account gives me a full vew of the database, but with very limited rights regarding to the server management.

For example, I can see what names of maintanence plans but once I right click on the name it only gives me an option to REFRESH and nothing else. Also SQL Server Agent is hidden and I can not see and manage any jobs running.

Please let me know how to set more rights or am I missing something on Studio Express setup? or - is that normal??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply