Editting DTS packages

• I am in the process of planning for moving a database to a new sql2000 instance. The problem is I found out there is several hundred DTS packages saved as structured storage files (.DTS) that will need to be editted to reflect the new instance name. The only way I know how to do this is to edit each one individually. Does anyone know of any tools or tricks to do this quickly?

WCDBA

• John,

tell us more what are you doing: are you moving only 1 database to the new install of SQL Server 2000 on another server and DTS packages that are stored in MSDB database are staying on the original server or you are moving the whole installation including system databases to another server or you are creating another instance of SQL Server 2000 on the same machine? What are those packages? Do they address the server by name in the Connection object or they use connection to (Local) ?

One of the advices could be to store DTS packages in VB files and Find-And-Replace. But be careful! Some strings in the packages may include machne name that you would want to keep! For example if it is a connection to a flat file on the share that will stay on the original server. Or if it is a history record that is a sort of a comment in the package.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thank you for replying. We are moving just this Database to it's own sql instance due to performance issues. The dts packages are run off of a application server so the packages are not stored in msdb, sysdtspackages table. They call these packages thru a 3rd party scheduling engine. I am not a wizard with DTS but from what I understand they are stored as structured storage files (*.dts files ) on the application server. so I was hoping to globally update these files with the new instance name via a tool.

WCDBA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply