Editing SQL Operator Alert Emails

• Hi all,

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to edit the default job notification emails sent out to operators? I have an alert set up to email me every time a backup job completes, although I would preferably like it to tell me whether it has Succeeded or Failed in the subject line, rather than having to open up the email to view the status line.

Any idea if that's possible?

I have so many servers sending notification emails and invariably end up viewing them on my phone, so it would just save some time not having to open them all to check if anything has failed!

Cheers

• The only way I know of to accomplish this is to change the notification of the job to send the email when the job fails instead of when the job completes. I don't know of a way to change the subject of the email that's sent.

• The subject should include as completed or failed, alongwith the job / alert name

• The subject currently only includes the following:

"SQL Server Job System: 'Database_Backups.Subplan_1' completed on \\Server_Name"

I don't really want to change the notifications to only be sent when the job fails, as you then don't know if the job has not run at all. At least this way if I don't get a notification at all from a particular server I know I need to investigate...

• In that case instead of setting notification, you can configure alerts, which can set whenever error fires, and notification can be set for job succeded instead of completed.

To Set alert goto Job -> Properties -> Alert

• Bhaskar.Shetty (5/24/2013)

In that case instead of setting notification, you can configure alerts, which can set whenever error fires, and notification can be set for job succeded instead of completed.

To Set alert goto Job -> Properties -> Alert

Can those be set up to report on the status of the enitire SQL Job though, rather than for each individual database backup completed by the job?

• Actually I think I might have slightly misread you message...sorry! Yes that could potentially work I think?! Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply