EDI

• I am trying bring EDI document into SQL server tables. I really don't know what the best solution is. I am thinking about DTS. but I don't know if it is doable or not. I appricate all the suggetions.

• I suspect you'll need to create a table with a text column to hold the data. Are these individual files? DTS is easy, but you'll need to script something to do multiple files.

Here's a start: http://www.sqldts.com/?246

• Another possibility might be (all depends on your specific data) converting the EDI docs to XML and importing it that way.

Just a thought.

• Hi,

We too have a similar requirement of parsing and loading EDI 850 files to SQL Server tables in our project. These EDI 850 files consist of different segments followed by fields.

For this i have written a DTS Active X script in VB Script that parses the entire EDI file Segment by segment picks up the relevant fields and then load them to tables using a Stored Procedure.

Regards,

Amol

SQL Server Developer.

India.

• Hi Amol:

Could you share your Active X script. I have to parse and load EDI 834/7 to SQL. It would be great to learn your experience with 850 files.

RGDS

Sam 

• I guess EDI is kind of pain for every IT professional. Big IT workshop can afford programmer just focusing on the EDI program. But small companies can't.

XML may be a good idea for EDI parser. we can creat objects and serialize the object to XML  , then use SQL Server XML function to save the information to tables.

But when you are ready to create other EDI document (like invoice 810) from SQL server, you will get another headache.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply