Easy Task or Not? If so, how?

• I thought moving data from an Access DB to SQL Server would be simple. but finding info on this has been difficult.  The only other problem is that some columns in the SQL Server will not match the Access column word for word but they do exist under a different name.

Can anyone help me?

• Check out the import data wizard... really simple.

What do you mean by not matching??

• Oh, sorry. I just mean that the names are different. The column exist under a different name.

• never seen that happen...

How are they changed??

do you kow you can see the generated script and manually change it?

• No! No! No!  I think you misunderstand me. I built a database in sql server 2000. Now i want to transfer in info into it. So at present i have 2 dbms. One is Access the otehr SQL server. The SQL server db is a much needed improvement and better normalization.

I found some information on import/export wizard on BOL. 

My current problem is that when i pick a data source such as Microsoft Access, it says, "To connect select a database and provide a sure nme and password.  You may need to specify advanced options."

It lists File Name which i was able to supply.

But then below it lists Username and Password adn i have no idea what to put there.

When i put in my login info and password. I'm the admin. I get this message:

"Error Source: Microsoft JET Database Engine

Error Description: Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.

Context: Error during initialization of the provider." 

• Jacob,

I usually ignore the login and password for Access unless the Access database has had login enabled for a workgroup.

As for mapping differently named columns between an Access table and a SQL Server table,  you can do that by clicking the elipse(...) for each table you're transferring in the Import/Export Wizard.

Greg

Greg

• I recently had to do something similar try a dts package.

• Guys, I'm still having problems when i try to use the Import/Export wizard.  When i put in that it is an MS Access document taht i'm importing from it asks for a username and password. If i put my windows authorization login and password, i get an error. if i try the suggestion of ignoring the username and password, i still get an error except it is a different one. 

I have some screen shots of what happens below.

This shows what happens when i ignore the username and password adn leave it blank.

http://www.geocities.com/jacobpressures/

This shows what happens when i put in my login name and password.

http://www.geocities.com/jacobpressures/DBError2.html?1127226151449

I hear that if i used the console to run this wizard i can by pass these menus but I dont know how to use it or if it would be as easy.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

• "unless the Access database has had login enabled for a workgroup."

I don't think i have a password for workgroup.  It is just a simple db file.

NO ONE HAS EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM?????

• It works if i take the password off so how do i do that? I'm assuming that is the problem and what was meant by workgroups.

• This problem is resolved. thanks!

I need to take off the password protection.

• Sorry, that's what I was trying to get at.  I don't work with Access databases a lot and I've never password protected one.  I'm glad you figured it out.

Greg

Greg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply