Dynamically Populate data from Source

• Dear SQLServerCentral members,

Is anybody knows a way in the DTS Package to create a script to dynamically 'Populate from Source' the data load from the table into the Destination file.

My problem is that the fields in the source table are being changed all the time.

Every time when this happenning I have to open the 'Transform Data Task Properties', click on the 'Destination' tab, click on 'Define Columns' button and then on 'Populate from Source'.

If I would not do that the new field(s) /record(s) would never be added to the file.

Really looking for your help.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

• 51 Views and no answers to that one.

I'm starting to worry if there is any solution to this problem?!

Alex

• You can use an ActiveX task to build the query into a global variable and then use dynamic properties to assign it to the source side of a transformation.  Using "AS" statements in your dynamic query can keep the names constant.   You would need some kind of intelligence to know the current names of the fields you are after to make this work.  We use this strategy to pull data from multiple instances of databases with the same structure.  We pass the database name into the package with a global variable and then have the query dynamically created with the appropriate database name.

Good Luck.

• How would I build this query? Can you provide the example (script) for that.

I still think that there should be the easier way to populate the new fields from source, I just do not know how.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply