Dynamically Creating Table using Excel Sheet

• Hi

Is there anyway to dynamically create DB Table by reading the Excel Value.

thanks

• Have you taken a look at OpenRowset and OpenQuery?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi gsquared,

My question is I am reading the excel name from the user and according to that excel, i need to generate DB Table with same number of columns and rows.

Thanks

• ns22boss (12/16/2011)

Hi gsquared,

My question is I am reading the excel name from the user and according to that excel, i need to generate DB Table with same number of columns and rows.

Thanks

Try to bundle OpenQuery statement in Dynamic SQL with @XLS_File_Name variable.

• You can use Select Into to dynamically create a table, and you can use dynamic SQL to query an Excel file named by an input parameter. Combine those two things, and you have what it sounds like you need. The only thing left is to determine how to name and query those tables, since the table names will be generated at runtime.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Are you sure you want a database full of tables where the name has been generated by something a user entered in Excel?

Will the names follow some pattern? What about validation of the name?

The worst you could do is have something like a bunch of tables called something like Accounts_Dec_2011, Accounts_Jan_2012, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply