Duplicate rows in Access

• Let me start off by saying I am NOT a SQL programmer and very much an Access beginner, but can someone help me figure out how to redo this code so that when I create a query and append to a table, only the new data is added?  Thanks!

INSERT INTO Table1 ( [Application Field], CountOfApplication )

SELECT First(Software.Application) AS [Application Field], Count(Software.Application) AS CountOfApplication

FROM Software

WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * from Table1

WHERE Table1.Application = Software.Application)

GROUP BY Software.Application

HAVING (((Count(Software.Application))>0));

• This should do the trick (just removed First() and the having that didn't filter anything):

INSERT INTO Table1 ( [Application Field], CountOfApplication )

SELECT Software.Application AS [Application Field], Count(Software.Application) AS CountOfApplication

FROM Software

WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * from Table1

WHERE Table1.Application = Software.Application)

GROUP BY Software.Application

if that doesn't work I'll need the table info and some sample data to do some testing on the query myself.

HTH.

• Katrina,

I created two tables in a SQL Server database and linked to them from Access through an ODBC connection.  The tables are Table1 and Software.

I inserted the following data into the Application field of the Software table:

1. App1
    2. App2
    3. App3
    4. App1
    5. App2
    6. App1

When I ran your query in Access I received the error Table1.[Application Field] does not exist.  I assumed that your reference to Table1.Application was intended to reference the same field as Table1.[Application Field] so I renamed the field in Table1 from Application to [Application Field] and changed the reference Table1.Application to Table1.[Application Field].

With this done, I again ran your query and Table1 had 3 records inserted as follows:

[Application Field]       CountOfApplication

1. App1                                3
    2. App2                                2
    3. App3                                1

Is this not the desired outcome?

• Nice call cjensen... I missed that one.

• INSERT INTO Table1 ( [Application Field], CountOfApplication )

SELECT Application, COUNT(*)

FROM Software

WHERE Application NOT IN (SELECT [Application Field] FROM Table1)

GROUP BY Application

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply