Duplicate Instances Problem

• Hi,

I have a problem whereby a client shows duplicate instances of a SQL Server Express engine.

For example if you try to add an ODBC driver manually, then the drop down servers box shows two of the same instance. This may be because it was installed, removed and then re-installed ?

The problem lies with an application, the connection string doesn't work, and prompts the SQL Server login box, all the details are correct, but you need to select the other identical instance.

How do I get it down to only recognising one ??

Hope this makes sense.

Matt

• Hi,

Although I am still interested to why you get duplicate instances displayed, it wasn't the cause of my problem. The main cause of my now fixed problem was me being a donut.

Matt

• m.dunster (3/14/2009)

Hi,

Although I am still interested to why you get duplicate instances displayed, it wasn't the cause of my problem. The main cause of my now fixed problem was me being a donut.

Matt

Mmmmmmmmmm, doonuutss...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Can you shed some light on what you did or what fixed it?

• Hello Matt

Some investigations:

1.)

Did you use a named instance?

2.)

Try from command line: "sqlcmd -L" to see which servers are available. Do you see your server name twice? Maybe once with a named instance and once without.

3.)

Have a look to the "Client Network Configuration" if there is an alias defined for your server.

4.)

Have a look to the "hosts" file for specified servers.

5.)

Not a joke... Create a new text file (anywhere on your computer) and rename it from *.txt to *.udl. After that double click the file and select "SQL Native Client" in first register. Go to the second register and specify the server name and the user information. Click the "Test Connection" button. Did you get an error or did the test succeed?

Greets

Flo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply