Dude, The Server's Down

• Hi Will,

This is not meant as "nastily" at you, but just an FYI,I had a server that was doing really wierd crap.

Install windows / SQL Server / Coldfusion Web Server and it failed twice in a row.

Did it a third time, EXACTLY the same order / EXACTLY the same media... Third times a charm it worked.

I have no idea what it was that caused the issues (Coldfusion refueed to start its services and did not map its extensions to the approporiate DLL's for action in IIS.) and as a side effect, the SQL service would fail to start as well.

My point, I suppose, is that sometimes there just isn't a humanly plausible reason for it. Though I bet Chuck Norris would have known what it was - straight away!

Gavin Baumanis

Smith and Wesson. The original point and click device.

• 1) Chuck Norris knows better than to use CF.

2) I have seen that sometimes that "surprise"... windows / 2003 does not install properly... although it is not very apparent intially. I have had to let boxes sit after an install and watch the logs for 24 hours before moving on to the next software install to make sure its ok.

In some cases it's like certain services will not install properly or all of a sudden disappear, I have more than once had to uninstall and reinstall IIS to get things sorted out.  As far as I could get to an answer was that some nic's seem to lock up, blocking certain service install and even then the answer was less than satisfying.  My other train of thought might be multiple nics installed buggering things up.

Anyway till another time.

Round house kicks for everyone.

Cheers

• Oh and one other thing is that there are certain files that are compressed that IIS uses and sometimes they do not get the proper permissions applied during DCPROMO.  That seems like a pretty common issue.

• Not sure why you think that your response was 'nastily'.  I wasn't trying to tell everyone it was a hardware problem, I just wanted everyone to look 'outside the box' for a second.  Sometimes the solution isn't as complex as you think.  I have had some really weird problems that seem software related but turned out to be a simple solution.

I had a home system that I had added 2 system fans to that kept shutting off on me.  The system was very well ventilated and had an oversized fan on the heatsink and pulled the air from the bottom of the system to out the top.  After numerous checkdisks, defrags, updates software reinstalls(non OS), and virus/adware scans, it was still shutting down.  I upgraded the power supply from a 420w to a 460w and everything works fine.  You wouldn't think that upping 40w on a power supply would make a difference, but it turned out that was the problem.  The power supply may have been going bad also, but it worked fine before adding the 2 extra system fans.

I had a similar problem to yours when I was installing Windows 2000 Server on a machine.  The system had XP Home on it and it ran fine.  I reformatted the drive and started the install of Windows 2000 Server.  It kept locking up at different points of the install.  After about a half dozen different tries, trying to install it different ways, I did some low level checking on the hard drive.  It turns out that the hard drive had developed some bad sectors.  I assume that it didn't have the bad sectors when it originally had XP installed on it.  When I first looked at the problem it would have seemed that Windows 2000 Server wasn't compatible with the system, but it turn out to just be a bad hard drive.

I was just trying to give a different viewpoint because no one once suggested that it could be anything but a software problem.  When I see a problem I try to compare it to something else that is working and then find out what the difference is.  They had other systems installed that had the same OS image and updates.  Not all the systems were having problems.  To me that makes the possibility that it's not software related more likely.  I'm not saying that it's not software, but I would first spend my time testing hardware and finding what the differences are between the machines. 

I just heard that Chuck Norris is now in his 60s?  Is that right?  I think I heard that he just turned 66 this past week, I thought that seemed a little high.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Will,

Those seem like good suggestions and I have passed them along. The really weird thing with it is it's 2 machines used for the same purpose, which leads me to think it's off the box somewhere. Something like MOM or a QA machine sending some shutdown.

Who knows, but I hope it's not a hardware issue. Those are less than fun to track down.

• What was found to be causing the server problem?  I'm hoping that in over a year that it's been fixed.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I stopped sending the tshutdwn command remotely..

• We had a problem with SQL boxes in a cluster locking up, or powering off inexplicably.  After several weeks of going back & forth, the Dell reps had me reseat ALL the RAM on the bad nodes.

Problem went away. 

Magic. 

• I stopped using the 'shutdown' command remotely as well as I was told by someone with far more network experience than I had/have that I could shut down one box by executing the command from another provided that I stipulated the server name.

WRONG!

Not going to try that trick again....

As for Chuck Norris: age of 66 is easy to believe... wasn't he World Karate Champion in 1970?  That's back in the days when you couldn't leave the floor even if you were unconscious ("Dribble on him again, Jimmy!  That'll show him!" )

Cracked ribs & broken noses were just a part of it from what I hear from those who competed back in those days.  VERY tough competition - nothing like the wannabe-soccer-players and the play-acting that goes with tournaments now (not denying that the participants are fast and hard but there is more pretending-to-fall-down-and-scream-in-pain-to-score-a-foul when hit and prancing-about-and-yelling-like-scoring-a-king-hit when it just fans the air in front of the opponent).

Oops - off topic again - this is about Chuck

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• I've actually had systems with problems where 'reseating all the ram and PCI cards' have turned it into a stable system. Suprised that it took that long for someone to post that. Suprised I didn't post that!

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• >Suprised that it took that long for someone to post that.

I don't usually post, since someone eventually comes along with the solution well before me.  Funny thing is that once, we had an MSX box (part of a clustered set of 4, all identical, all manufactured at exactly the same time, all built from the same OS image, all with same software) that routinely crashed/bluescreened.  Dell eventually replaced every piece of hardware (and I mean *every*) in the box, and the problem never resolved itself.  Replaced the case, and *poof* no more problem. 

You just never know in this business....

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply