DTS Package wizard getting error in SQL 2000 connection timeout

• Hello all,

i'm trying to connect to a remote sql 2000 server through DTS 2000 migrate package wizard , but its giving timeout expired error.

but for the same SQL 2000 server, i'm able to connect through SQL2000 tool "SQL server Enterprise Manager" .

do you guys have any suggestions for me?

• Here is one more update,

In SQL 2005 , if i choose "Named piper" as network protocol its successfully able to connect to the SQL 2000 server.

but if i choose "both TCP/IP and Named Pipes" as netwrok protocol, its not connecting and giving timeout error.

can you guys please help me 🙁

• Hello,

Can you post the full error message? Especially the Error, Level, State part as that is helpful in tracking down the root cause.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Here is the error message details:

TITLE: DTS Migration Wizard Error

------------------------------

Failed to connect to server 10.128.10.59. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-2&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• Hello again,

I assume you are connecting from SSMS 2005? Is TCP/IP enabled on this Server?

A couple of things to check:-

1) Is there a firewall between the SQL 2005 and SQL 2000 Servers?

2) Can you Ping the TCP/IP Address of the SQL 2000 Server from the SQL 2005 Server?

3) What Port is the SQL 2000 Server listening on? Is it a Default or Named Instance?

4) What happens if you specify the Port Number in the Connection String e.g. MySqlServer,1433

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• I assume you are connecting from SSMS 2005? Is TCP/IP enabled on this Server?

Yes i'm using SQL Server Management Studio 2005 for connecting to SQL 2000

No TCP/IP is not enabled, but my question was when " named pipe " protocol is enabled, it should work when we choose both "both TCP/IP and Named Pipes" protocol. but in my case it was not working. why ?

A couple of things to check:-

1) Is there a firewall between the SQL 2005 and SQL 2000 Servers? NO

2) Can you Ping the TCP/IP Address of the SQL 2000 Server from the SQL 2005 Server? yes Through cmd prompt i can ping the server ip

3) What Port is the SQL 2000 Server listening on? Is it a Default or Named Instance? Default instance, don't know the port no#

4) What happens if you specify the Port Number in the Connection String e.g. MySqlServer,1433

tried with port # 1433, again it gave error , as i believe TCP/IP is not enabled, it won't work

• Hello again,

No TCP/IP is not enabled, but my question was when "named pipe" protocol is enabled, it should work when we choose both "both TCP/IP and Named Pipes" protocol. but in my case it was not working. why ?

The order of the Protocols is important. So, if TCP/IP is listed first but does not work, that would probably explain your issue.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• Thanks for the info,

Do you know in any way can i specify the "Named Pipe' as the protocol for DTS migration wizard source connection in BIDS ?

Thanks for all your help.

• Hello again,

I assume it would work if Named Pipes is the first enabled Client Protocol. (You can set the order via the Properties of the Client Protocols node in SQL Server Configuration Manager).

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

• I tried with above mentioned setting and other possible different settings , but still i get the same error

Time Out.

any help is appreciated

• Hello again,

One possible way to force the Wizard to use Named Pipes to connect to your SQL 2000 Server would be to use SQL Server Configuration Manager to create a local Alias for the SQL 2000 Server, and then specify named Pipes as the Alias’s Protocol.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply