dts package not run on server

• I have created a dts package. It ran fine when I run it manually but when I try to schedule it or click on start job', the package fails.

The task in the package is using a filesystemobject to search for the existence of a text file that is in AS400. I use the UNC path to define the location of the file for the search. I have mapped my drive and it's connecting fine.

I have tried using UNC path and hard code drive, none works. However, if I do a file search on c:\drive. It works.

What could be the reason ?

Please help! Thanks!

• Check that the SQL Server Agent service account has sufficient permissions to access the UNC share to which you are trying to connect.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I have tried to add the same id to the AS400 box and it worked fine with schedule.

However, when I tried it later, it fails again. What could be the cause ?

Please advise.

Thanks

• What security context are you trying to execute the job under? Make sure that the job owner is SA.

• The login for the sql server agent service and the job has the same login with administrative rights.

Is this correct ? Does it have to be 'sa' or can it be a login that has admin rights ?

• Make it sa so that it impersonates the SQL Agent account when executing.

• I have tried to use 'sa' and it still doesn't work.

If I run the job on the server using 'execute the package' or run it manually, it works regardless of what login.

BTW, the UNC path connects to AS400 box. Does that make a difference ?

• Hi All,

Your problem is Security related.

I have the same problem running iSeries 830 in Win2000 Domain.

Sometimes it works and other time it fails. This is totally random.

I would suggest that you ftp the text file to a Win2000 site on your network and get the file from there. Alternatively ftp to the iSeries and get the file there.

Hope this helps.

• I am thinking maybe I can code the userid and password that will connect to that drive in the activexscript in the task. Maybe that will make it stable ?

However, I don't know what the syntax is ? Can someone help ? I am using filesystemobject to do the filesearch for this file.

I really need this done and I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

• What you perhaps can do is the following.

Create a user on the AS400 with the same details on the NT Domain.

The IFS uses the same username and password the the user log's on to in the NT domain to validate the access to the IFS resources.

So hopefully the sql agent account would thus be allowed to access the resources if a simular account exists on the AS400

• I have already created a same username as my domain name on AS400.

The strange thing is that I can schedule a task to run when the job is creating a text file in the UNC path and it works. However if the task (scheduled) to do a file search then it doesn't. Running locally is fine though.

If we say that there is a security context issue, then I should not be able to create a text file in that path, does it make sense ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply