DTS Package flow problem

• Hi,

I am a newbie in DTS packages. Please anybody can tell me, how i can know "when, how and in what order DTS packages are triggere?". I am not able how to view it. Pleas if possible explain me in detail.

Thanks in advance.

m.i

Learning is a path with no destination...
    [/font]

• I'm not really clear about what you're asking. Do you want to know workflow between steps within a package or the order that multiple packages are executed or ?

Greg

• yes i want to know, workflow between steps within a package and the order that multiple packages are executed?

Thanks,

Regards,

m.i.

[/font]

• Within a package, step execution order is controlled by workflow precedence constraints. They sequentially link the tasks in the package. See "DTS Package Workflow" in BooksOnLine.

I can only guess at an answer to your question about the order that multiple packages are executed because you haven't described your situation. If you run them in a single job, they would be executed in job step order. If you execute them as sub-packages in Execute Package tasks, workflow would control execution order.

Greg

• okiftequar ,

You should try to find out a sql task in your package which is not having any incoming arrow from other Task. Probably it will be your first step which would be triggered by SQL. I know it's a kinna weird thing to understand things just by arrows, but believe me you can easily make the path taken during DTS execution. Red indicates the direction of DTS flow when the task will fail. Similarly green is for Successful execution. Blue stands for Flow after task has been executed(no matter success or failure). Do take a reference of some good books. 🙂

• If you are asked how they are run, then you may find that they are scheduled as jobs.

Open Enterprise Manager, select the SQL Server Instance, and expand. You will then see several folders

Databases

Data Transformation Services

Management

If you expand Management there will be Sql Server Agent, expand this anmd you will see Jobs

This is where the DTS may have been scheduled to run.

Hope this helps.

Ells.:D

• Thanks dear all.

I understood now. and i have done my job successfully.

[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply