DTS Lookup

• Hello,

I've got a simple DTS package that reads an AS/400 and writes to SQL Server 2000. I need to add a WHERE clause (or something) to limit some data with a date stored on the SQL Server. I've found many DTS lookup examples that affect all rows, but none with a simple WHERE clause. Here's my query:

SELECT Data

from AS_400

WHERE Date = Data_from_SQL_Server

In the transformation I can add a lookup that returns the correct value. I can't figure out how to do the '?' substitution in the source query and tie it to the lookup.

SELECT Data

from AS_400

WHERE Date = ?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA

Don

http://www.biadvantage.com

• Hello,

You say the date is stored on the SQL Server. Is this the system date on the server? Or is the filter date stored within a table?

Either way, you can do this. If you wanted today's data only you could use GETDATE() to return the date. However, with the JDE system we run on an AS400 the dates are stored in Julian Date format, so you need a small script for the conversion.

If the Date is stored within a table, then you would need a subquery. For Example.

SELECT Data

FROM AS_400

WHERE Date = (SELECT FilterDate FROM FltDateTable)

This assumes you have a table with one column.

If these scenario's are not what you have in mind, pls reply with how/where the date is stored :o)

Clive Strong

clivestrong@btinternet.com

• Thanks, here's some more info:

The date is stored in a table on the SQL Server. That's the difficulty (I think). My data source is the AS/400. The select statement has to use two data sources - AS/400 for the data and SQL Server for the date. That's why I thought a lookup was appropriate.

Don

• OK...One idea I have is this..

If you know the format of the AS400 tables, you can create an ActiveX script which connects to the AS400 and also your SQL Server and downloads the data that way. We do this a fair bit.

You can call a function to return the filter date from your SQL Server table and when you query the AS400, use the variable in the WHERE clause. This can be done quite simply using VBScript.

However, there are probably other solutions (that I can't think of right now!)

Clive Strong

• That sounds like a good idea. I'm a little weak in VBScript, though. Can you give an example?

Don

Don

• That sounds like a good idea. I'm a little weak in VBScript, though. Can you give an example?

Don

Don

• Sure.

Create a DTS and drag an ActiveX object onto the DTS pane. Open it up and you could create something like this. It's pretty basic and has no error trapping or anything.

Hope it helps!

'Global *Script* variables

Dim JDEConn

Dim SQLConn

Fim FilterDate

Function Main()

'Create and Open JDE Connection

Set JDEConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

JDEConn.Provider = "msdasql"

JDEConn.open "uid=JDELogin;pwd=JDEPwd;initial catalog=CatalogName.F42119LA;dsn=jdetest"

'Create and Open SQL Connection

Set SQLConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

SQLConn.open "uid=;pwd=;Trusted_Connection=Yes;driver={SQL Server};server=MySQLServer;database=TestDB;dsn="

'Call Functions

GetFilterDate

ImpRecords

'Kill Connection Objects

Set SQLConn = Nothing

Set JDEConn = Nothing

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

Function GetFilterDate()

Dim SQLRS

'Create SQL Recordset Object

Set SQLRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

'Query SQL to get the filter date for your AS400 query

SQLRS.open "SELECT QryFilterDate FROM FilterDateTable", SQLConn

'Store Filter date in variable

FilterDate = SQLRS("QryFilterDate")

GetFilterDate = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

Function ImpRecords()

Dim JDERS

'Create Recordset Object for AS400 Connection

Set JDERS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

'Query the table on the AS400

JDERS.open "SELECT SDLITM, SDADDJ, SDUORG FROM CatalogName.F42119LA WHERE SDADDJ = " & FilterDate, JDEConn

If Not JDERS.BOF AND Not JDERS.EOFThen

WHILE Not JDERS.EOF

'Put the resultset into variables

DTSGlobalVariables("SDLITM").Value = JDERS("SDLITM")

DTSGlobalVariables("SDADDJ").Value = JDERS("SDADDJ")

DTSGlobalVariables("SDUORG").Value = JDERS("SDUORG")

'Execute INSERT query to pass variables into SQL Table

SQLConn.Execute "INSERT INTO MyDownloadTable VALUES (DTSGlobalVariables("SDLITM").Value, DTSGlobalVariables("SDADDJ").Value, DTSGlobalVariables("SDUORG").Value)

JDERS.MoveNext

WEND

Set JDERS = Nothing

ImpRecords = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

Clive Strong

• Thanks Clive. I'll toy with this code for a while.

Don

Don

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply