DTS jobs failing every day

• we have around 300 branches of our office at all different locations that send data to DB2, every night. we are supposed to retrieve the data of each branch office from db2 into repspective text files.

Currently we are handling this task in the following steps

1. created a dts package

2. scheduled 15 jobs. Each job calls this dts package so that each job processes 1 branch data, in that way 15 jobs process 15 branches of data in 1 cycle, in the 2nd cycle the 15 jobs run again and process the next 15 branches data like wise we are processing 300 branches of data every day.

(I know it sounds unusual or wacky.)

Am in the process of converting this existing dts package to ssis package, I wanted to improvise this above process of running 15 jobs 20 times a day to process 300 branches data which fails every time making my nights miserable.

Any thoughts on how I can avoid the above complex procedure and handle it in a simplest possible way in SSIS.

Thanks

• There are a number of ways to accomplish this, but my big question is how long does it take to do the extraction for each branch and how wide is your processing window. I have about 5 ideas how this would be done in a single or multiple SSIS packages. The number of packages is largely dependent on my questions.

CEWII

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply