DTS Job Failure

• Hi -

I have a job that runs a DTS package that fails with this error:

DTSRun OnError:  DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2, Error = -2147217833 (80040E57)      Error string:  String or binary data would be truncated.

To me, the obvious thing to suspect is that a field's datatype is too small for whatever data is attempting to be inserted, but the developer says that when she runs the package manually, that it completes successfully...  I do not see any sign of permissions errors - the script being run only accesses local databases and when the scheduled job is run it runs as the SQL Server Agent service account.

Please let me know if you have any clues to what may be causing this problem!

Thank you,

Anne

• Are you and the developer running the package against the same database, with the same data being inserted?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Yes.

• Ok, are you able to extract the SQL statement from the package and run it in Query Analyzer? Then you'll be able to play around a bit more freely to work out which field is causing the error.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• This is a trivial solution..but never hurts to check...

Is there a field that is being populated with user data ?

I had a similar result on a field that was being populated with the user name where the field was defined as varchar(30).  When the developer ran it...they inserted their user name(which it turns out fit the field)..when another user ran it..the package bombs..

HTH

Mathew J Kulangara
    sqladventures.blogspot.com

• I tend to agree. Its probably a field length issue. Don't forget that int is a "small" number field, so check the input data types v. field types.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply