DTS Import/Export

• I have a DTS package that basically imports data from one server to the next, but it keeps bombing on me due to a foreign key constraint.  The only other thing I can think of to do is script the database without primary/foreign keys, but this seems to be somewhat pointless if one database goes down and I need to switch over to the other.  Yes, we are making regularly scheduled complete, differential, and transaction log backups, but my boss requires that we keep a copy of the database off-site on a different server.  Any ideas?

• Either arrange the steps in the package to load the tables in order i.e. parent tables then child tables, or create drop and create scripts for the foreign keys and add a step to the package that drops the FKs before loading and another step that recreates them after loading.

You might also want to look at replication or log shipping since it sounds like you are trying to achieve hot or warm standby database.

Greg

Greg

• I am thinking that snapshot replication may be the way to go in this situation.  My DTS is pretty rusty, and I have like five databases with a bunch of tables to dump data from.  I tried just copying database backups from one server to the other over a VPN, but I have not been able to figure out how to get it to work without actually being logged in and connected to my mapped drive to get the transfer to work.

• Take a look at "replication, select a type" in BooksOnLine, if you haven't already.  It describes the best use of each type of replication.

Greg

Greg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply