DTS Hangs when Scheduled as Job

• I copied a DTS package from 1 server to another.  This package was scheduled to run as a job on the old server.  It is password protected.

On the new server I did a "disconnected edit" to change the connections...  I am directly connected to the new server and can run the DTS package without any problems, so it's using the proper resources. 

I scheduled the DTS to run as a job and it prompts me for the password, which I provided.  When the job executes, it starts and shows that it is executing STEP1 Run DTS, but this job doesn't progress.  The job normally takes about 10 minutes to run, but I let it run for about 2 hours.  It's obviously haning on the DTS, but WHY? 

I am sending the output of the job to a log file, but the log file is empty.  I added a job step before the RUN DTS that just does a "select getdate()" and this step writes to the log file, so I'm pretty sure the DTS is not actually running, or it's immediately hanging.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks

• 2 more things:

1.  other DTS jobs are running when scheduled as job on this server

2.  when troubleshooting, I did save a copy of the DTS without a password thinking this might be the problem

• Could this be a security issue?  If it runs when you execute it manually, yet not when it is executed by the SQL Server Agent, that is what I would suspect first.  What does step 1 try to do - does it involve any network access?

Regards

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• The job does execute, but hangs at the RUN DTS step.

(during troubleshooting I added a new step to do a "select getdate()" and the Run DTS was Step2

Currently Step 1 of the job is RUN DTS...

Step 1 of the DTS is a transformation task importing data from Oracle to Sql Server.

The oralce connection is "microsoft odbc for oracle".  I thought it might be security, but the connection is the same as it was on the old server; an oracle user/pw.  Since I am logged directly into the server I'm using the server contect and manually the DTS does run.

• Can you connect to the SQL Server using the SQL Server Agent login and run the package manually?

Greg

Greg

• yes, I can connect and run the package manually.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply