DTS Executing in EM vs. Query Analyzer

• I have created a package with 6 steps. This is SQL 7, sp3 btw. The package checks a global variable, an ActiveX script uses the variable to make replacements in a SQL Task (so that it is dynamic), executes the sql and exports the records to an Excel file. When run from the EM it works just fine. I then created a stored procedure using sp_OA... procedures to load the object, change the global variable and execute the package. I can check the variable in the package and make sure it is changing. I also check the 'step.count' to make sure the object is actually loaded. Everything works fine until the Execute step. It tells me the Execute failed with an OLE Automation Error. I am thinking that this has something to do with priveleges but am not sure what the difference is between EM and Query Analyzer. Any ideas? Thanks!

• When you open in EM the code is run locally to your machine. When you run thru QA it will be executed at the server. If the server and your local machine are the same then you have sufficient rights for the execution under your login but the SQL Server does not. If they are not the same then the server has a configuration difference and possibly not sufficient rights to accomplish the task needed. The key thou is EM running a DTS package from the DTS file will be excuted on under the logged in account on the machine where ran and QA will cause the Server to do the work under it's account.

• Thanks for the reply. I am running QA from my workstation; the server is on a different machine. Is there a way to find out which account is used when running QA? Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply