drop user on several databases

• I want to drop users in several databases (but not all!). In pseudo code it's like:

use database1

go

if exists (select name from sys.database_principals where upper(name) = 'name1todrop')

drop user name1todrop

go

if exists (select name from sys.database_principals where upper(name) = 'name2todrop')

drop user name2todrop

go

use database 2

go

if exists (select name from sys.database_principals where upper(name) = 'name1todrop')

drop user name1todrop

go

This is working fine. But now I want to make a stored procedure out of it.

I can't use the 'use database' (a USE database statement is not allowed in a procedure, function or trigger.)

The drop user only works for the current database. But how to make it current in a stored procedure? The databasename is not allowed in the syntax....

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

• you can perform queries on other db's on your same instance using a simple database prefix, and use dynamic-SQL to action the drop if required

if

exists (select name from database1.sys.database_principals where upper(name) = 'NAME1TODROP')

exec('use database1; drop user NAME1TODROP')

if

exists (select name from database1.sys.database_principals where upper(name) = 'NAME2TODROP')

exec('use database1; drop user NAME2TODROP')

if

exists (select name from database2.sys.database_principals where upper(name) = 'NAME1TODROP')

exec('use database2; drop user NAME1TODROP')

so you should be able to encapsulate this within a sproc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply