Drives are invisible ???

• I have one problem. I am trying to take backup of database on server. Server has drives like H:,C:,D:,J:,S: drives. While i m trying to take backup using Backup wizard, while selecting backup location, it's showing only J:,S: drives. My question is that why SQL Server is unable to see those drives???? While i am able to take the backup using Backup database command in Query Analyzer....

That i have already checked. It has all required permissions bcoz if this was the issue with permissions, the error should be operating system error/access denied.

Do u have any idea regarding this. ?????

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• While i am able to take the backup using Backup database command in Query Analyzer....

You mean that you can take backup through Query Analyzer at drives other than J,S? And are using same login to connect through Query analyzer that you used to connect through EM?

DBDigger Microsoft Data Platform Consultancy.

• exactly..i m using same login

I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Is this on a cluster? And are the other drives set as dependencies on the SQL Server resource if it is?

• Yes it's on cluster. And when i am seeing its active resources in cluster administrator, it's showing H:,J: but not S:.

Please clear "And are the other drives set as dependencies on the SQL Server resource if it is?"

• You will have a resource in there for SQL Server itself, if you check the dependancies (right click, properties athen the dependancies tab) for that there will be the disk resource for H and J you will need to add S if you want to see it via the gui. This change will need a restart of SQL to take effect.

• still not get ur point, what u want to say.r u talking abt the dependencies option in cluster administrator...where is resource for sql server

• In Cluster Admin you will have a group for SQL Server, in that group will be several resources (Disk, IP Addresses, SQL server, SQL Agent etc) the SQL Server type resource is the one you need to check the dependancies for, it should contain at least a Disk and a SQL Network Name resource. You will need to add Disk S as a dependancy and restart then you should then see the S: drive in the Management Studio gui for Backup.

Might want to run this past a network admin if you have one before you start messing with their cluster.

• What i did :-

Cluster Administrator --> Active Resources --> SQL Server.

Double Click on SQL Server.

Go to Dependencies Tab

It's showing H:,J:,K:,SQL Server Network Name

Now things are ::::::------------

(1) If i want to add new drive like S:, i'll have to add it by ryt click ---> add new resource ( Correct me if i m wrong anywhere)

(2) While taking backup, in backup wizard (select location), it's showing S: drive (that's not still added) and not showing H: drive (that's already added)

• Nearly, in the dependancies tab there is a button marked modify which will allow you to add resources.

I should have added earlier that the Disk S: resource should be a member of the same group as the rest of the SQL resources (Check Groups further up on the left hand side) but once you have added the disk and restarted SQL you will be able to see it in the backup gui.

Although it's strange that you do not see H: which is there? have these been added to SQL as Backup Devices? Can you tell Me what you see in Management Studio under Server Objects\Backup Devices?

• Did this fix your issue?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply