doubt

• is it good to switch my career from SSRS to actuate

Regards

VMSSanthosh

• SSRS developers seem to be more requested now.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Never heard of Actuate, so I would guess no 🙂

Or do both. It can't hurt to be able to work with more than one BI environment.

(for example, I know Cognos as well)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• thanks a lot...

few more points will be helpful for me..

• (for example, I know Cognos as well)

Sorry to jump in but a quick question.

Koen: What is your opinion on Cognos Express? I have a friend who is currently working on a project to install a new reporting platform Cognos being one of the choices (the others at present are SSRS and Business Objects) and I am not in a position to advise my experience is with SSRS?

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• hi

i am going to a new company, wherein i need to work on actuate.. previously i was working with Business objects later came to SSRS. Now is it good for me to work with actuate..

I am little confused.. as per me concepts in all reporting tools are same.. but the syntax and way of designing differs.

I am afraid of job market, do actuate professionals gets job easily?

• Andy Hyslop (2/29/2012)

(for example, I know Cognos as well)

Sorry to jump in but a quick question.

Koen: What is your opinion on Cognos Express? I have a friend who is currently working on a project to install a new reporting platform Cognos being one of the choices (the others at present are SSRS and Business Objects) and I am not in a position to advise my experience is with SSRS?

Hmmm, to be honest, I haven't used the Express version before, but only the Cognos 8 BI suite (Report Studio, Analysis Studio, Framework Manager).

It's better in ad-hoc reporting than SSRS, but I wasn't really blown away with the performance. Cognos is also less WYSIWYG than SSRS.

Cognos has also a better metadataframework (like the Universe in BO), but I don't know if this is also the case in Cognos Express.

• vmssanthosh (2/29/2012)

hi

i am going to a new company, wherein i need to work on actuate.. previously i was working with Business objects later came to SSRS. Now is it good for me to work with actuate..

I am little confused.. as per me concepts in all reporting tools are same.. but the syntax and way of designing differs.

I am afraid of job market, do actuate professionals gets job easily?

I would go for it.

Just keep your BO and SSRS skills fresh. A diverse resume isn't really bad to have.

(but be careful no to be "junior" in everything, but have at least some significant experience in 1 or 2 of those tools)

• actually i am gonna join as a project leader for BI team. but the new team will be working on actuate. i ever worked on that.. thats why i want to get some suggestions.

• Thanks for the information Koen

Right I'll stop hijacking the OP's thread now! 😉

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply