Don't Use Transcender

• It depends on how much time you've spent on SQL Server. These days a certification alone means very little. I would find a position where you could work with a DBA mentor and also study for the test.

I think we have seen the last of the "Have a cert?? Here's a job" days. Your degree in CS is more important.

Patrick Birch

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• If you'd like some decent, free simulation software go to http://www.mcsebraindumps.com and download the Trandumper simulator. After that you can use properly formatted braindumps that people use. There is a great one done by a guy named Victor. It include detailed explanations on why a particular choice is correct along with references to the source material.

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

• Well, nothing kills a discussion on certifications quicker than saying how wonderful braindumps are.

Patrick

• quote:

It depends on how much time you've spent on SQL Server. These days a certification alone means very little. I would find a position where you could work with a DBA mentor and also study for the test.

I think we have seen the last of the "Have a cert?? Here's a job" days. Your degree in CS is more important.

Patrick Birch

hehe.. I've spent no time on SQL server. And it seems taht jobs are hard to come by for those with degrees but no practical experience. I suppose i'll just keep looking around here in Dallas. I don't think I really want to move somewhere else. If nothing turns up, i'll just do the PhD. 🙂

Thanks for your response though.. I do appreciate your input!..

Mark Fontenot

• quote:

quote:

It depends on how much time you've spent on SQL Server. These days a certification alone means very little. I would find a position where you could work with a DBA mentor and also study for the test.

Patrick Birch

hehe.. I've spent no time on SQL server. And it seems taht jobs are hard to come by for those with degrees but no practical experience. I suppose i'll just keep looking around here in Dallas. I don't think I really want to move somewhere else. If nothing turns up, i'll just do the PhD. 🙂

Thanks for your response though.. I do appreciate your input!..

Mark Fontenot

I would also agree that the degree is far more important. I'm currently working as a programmer/analyst/DBA which is cool as the experience is invaluable BUT the salary doesn't reflect the work I do nor the responsibility I have. I should imagine that having a DBA qualification would better enable you to demand DBA wages whereas an IT degree (I did Information Systems @ Leeds Uni, UK) makes you a better all rounder.

I once worked with a guy who was an MCSE and did not know how the cut and paste in Windows ...

Steve

• Ah, the money. It's when you look for the next job and can point to the experience that you have that will help with the money. The DBA cert will not do that. I've spoken to far too many people who expect some magical raise in salary because they have passed four tests. Hope springs eternal.

Don't worry about what you are paid today. It's worth more tomorrow. I spent two years as a lowly grunt, but I jumped quite a bit at the next job because I had the experience.

Patrick

• Actually your brain, how much experience you have and how much time you spend learning your craft are most important. Degrees only give you a starting point and certs sometimes will get you a little more notice.

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

• quote:

Actually your brain, how much experience you have and how much time you spend learning your craft are most important. Degrees only give you a starting point and certs sometimes will get you a little more notice.

Indeed. But from experience not always 😉

It would be nice if that was always the case but I know people who work in IT and talk total garbage and do really well. Maybe they're just using their brain in a different way ....

Steve Brett

cheers

dbgeezer

• My only fear right now about getting the PhD is that I will, in my opinion, limit my opportunities in industy. I dont' have any DBA experience to speak of, and it doesn't seem like i'm going to get any soon here. But I dont' really want to jump into the world of research without first finding out what industy has to offer and what being a DBA (or asst. DBA) is all about.

Thanks

Mark

• Steve wrote:

<snip>...but I know people who work in IT and talk total garbage and do really well.</snip>

I know the type. They learn all the latest buzzwords, have no compunction about lying to get ahead. Then when called upon to actually produce, they get their knowledgible co-workers to bail them out or they point the finger at someone else as a diversionary tactic.

It is a tried and true way to get ahead. In the IT industry it is fairly easy to do as well since the people who hire you usually don't have your expertise (that's why you are there). Personally I'd rather succeed on my own merits than to get ahead that way.

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply