Domain Administrators Access

• Hello everyone,

I just installed SQL Server 2008 EE on a Windows 2008 machine (mixed mode). I am facing the following situation:

1) Even if Domain\Domain Admins are granted the sysadmin role, i cannot locally connect to the Management Studio (My account belongs to the Domain Admins group). Only the sa account can do this.

2) If i manually enter my account under Security->Logins and grant myself the sysadmin role, i can locally login to the Management Studio.

3) I maintain a legacy application written in VB6, which connects to the DB Server using Windows authentication. Even when my account is explicitly set to sysadmin, i cannot access the database through the application. If i create a user qith sql authentication who has the role of owner to the database, i can connect to the database.

Any help appreciated...

• What kind of error messages are you getting when you fail to connect?

Are your domain accounts members of the local administrators group on the server?

• Yes, DOMAIN\Domain Admins is a member of the local Administrators group. When i try to login to the SQL Management Studio with my account, which belongs to the Domain Admins user group, i get the following message:

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to SERVER.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\username'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• SQL Server 2008 no longer includes the group BUILTIN\Administrators, and does not automatically make members of that group sysadmins.

Also, on Windows Server 2008, Vista and Windows 7 - you have to run an additional tool to add the users to SQL Server as sysadmins. At the end of the installation, it should ask you whether or not you want to run the tool - if not, then you can manually run it.

See this article for further information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281849.aspx

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I am most intrigued by this statement "i can locally login to the Management Studio. " Can you not loging form elsewhere? If not then check to see what protocols the SQL Server is listening on..

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply