Does Maturity Make a DBA?

• I'd say that the answer to the editorial is "it depends".

I think that Brad has made good general observations that apply to most DBAs, especially successful ones. I feel that of the DBAs I've met over the years, which is hundreds, perhaps thousands, they are mostly conservative.

To make a stable system, ensure uptime, prevent issues from untested changes, I think you have to be conservative, or more conservative than the developers. You are stable, and reliable, and more likely community oriented.

Not all DBAs, but mostly. As a contrast, most of the developers I've met in my career tend to be more cowboys, a little reckless about their job, and less community oriented. Not all of them, and there are plenty of exceptions on both sides, but as a general rule, that's my experience.

I think it also depends on where the DBA came from. More of the system admin DBAs I've met are conservative than the developer DBAs. I rarely run into people that were a DBA from day 1, and they have tended to come from one side or the other.

I shall stay away from the faith debate. I get enough complaints as it is :w00t:

• The last point is the tip-off. The DBAs I've encountered have the same biases as other IT professionals, including lack of faith. Brad has simply seen what he wanted to see.

• To answer the questions Brad poses at the end of the column:

Are DBAs drawn to their work because of their maturity, or do organizations who hire DBAs tend to prefer mature employees? Or am I full of baloney, and perhaps DBAs are no different than anyone else?

To answer the second question first, I think that DBA's are different than other people. Certainly we can have different beliefs and enjoy different activities outside of work, but when it comes to work, DBA's do tend to be more conservative and dependable. This is because DBA's have to be this way so to answer the first question, it's a combination of being drawn to it (we've seen what happens when someone isn't responsible with data) and organizations seeking it. I would not want to hire a DBA who isn't conservative about changes made to the server, SQL Server, database. Just apply patches, upgrades, and changes whenever, I don't think so.

One other thing I have noticed about those that I have met in DBA roles, is the number that have had some type of military background. I can think of 5 or 6 people off the top of my head.

Lastly, about Brad's mention of faith/religion, I have actually been pleasantly surprised at the number of SQL Server people I have met (on-line and in person) that share my faith, but I have also met many others that don't some of whom I respect greatly as DBA's.

• Self-congratulatory bollocks.

Pick almost any career (architects, police, trades, heck even pot growers) and the people doing it will claim to be stable, family-oriented, hard-working, community-minded.

Robb

• Think you highlighted the traits that employers are looking for, so not baloney, maybe....pepperoni?

Steve explains it well.

DBA manages the entire system, therefore has to have more stability/dependibility in their mindset. Lots of times this may also include adherence to a faith/religion. Personally, I think this may also play into personal confidence/surety of onesself. Anyway...

Developer just wants to get his/her job done, doesn't need to think about the whole system.

Doesn't mean you can't have one or the other that does the opposite, but by and large your observations make sense.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Robert.Smith (7/27/2009)

Self-congratulatory bollocks.

Pick almost any career (architects, police, trades, heck even pot growers) and the people doing it will claim to be stable, family-oriented, hard-working, community-minded.

Robb

Thats true.. and hilarious :w00t:

--
    :hehe:

• Probably some confirmation bias going on here, both in the OP and many of the replies.

One question - how are you defining "success"? Is it career success, financial succes(both)? Do you have a chance to actually assess the skills of these individuals, or do you just take it as a given that those that fit your prototype must be the most skilled?

TroyK

• We are all stuck in our own perceptual worlds with almost negligible overlap -- so little, in fact, that it has been stated, in separate sources, that the real miracle is that we can communicate at all. And we continually forget this fact when acting on our "consensual" world.

The goal of many "spiritual" (esp. eastern) practices is to open a gap in our reification of our world so we can more directly experience life. Instead of icons, we would come closer to perceiving the thing-in-itself.

Of course, I'm writing from my own little fish tank, so I am subject to all the same brou-ha-ha I am talking about.

With ~ 20 years of experience working with databases of all sorts as both DBA and developer, I haven't seen any single underlying characteristic of DBA qualifications. Perhaps a continuing curiosity and initiative to learn, experience, and the ability to learn from our own mistakes would stand out as traits of a good DBA. And of course, I have these traits! Go figure.

One last thing:

It IS amazing that the Buddha has such a grasp on the reality of suffering without ever having to go to the DMV

OK, one very last thing:

Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will always be happy.

Note: Quoted sources from my accumulated clips of a life

• I guess DBA works on data that they do not own. If a DBA tweaks something, everybody will find out quickly if it failed. Also, if things turns out right, not many people will notice. So DBA most likely cannot be egoistic. They have to be secure in who they are, their ability to get things done correctly, and not seeking self-glory(this may explain why mostly likely DBAs are people of faith).

• Brad,

I got into being a DBA out of need to develop dynamic sites as a web developer and internet marketeer. I then found I had a knack for complex theory and people would pay me to figure things out for them. I do fit into the hard working category, but who in this field doesn't? We all had to work hard to get the background knowledge to save database lives everyday. The lazy DBA that was given the job because their dad owns the company, doesn't last long for obvious reasons.

Thanks for writing a post clever enough to get us all to weigh in.

• What is this nonsense doing on a technical website?

• sjsubscribe (7/27/2009)

What is this nonsense doing on a technical website?

I think you have mistaken the purpose of this web site. SQLServerCentral is not just a technical web site, but a community where anything that encompasses being a SQL Server Professional is fair game.

Also this article is an editorial which by definition is an opinion:

Dictionary.com - "an article in a newspaper or other periodical presenting the opinion of the publisher, editor, or editors."

You don't have to agree with it or even enjoy it, but please don't denigrate it or the author.

• I think most DBAs are fairly conservative with the company data. Either that or they don't last long. And most companies want someone who is sensible and conservative with their data, it keeps the business safe and secure.

As for our personal lives, let's keep that personal.

• sjsubscribe (7/27/2009)

Broadening some of our horizons

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/27/2009)

sjsubscribe (7/27/2009)

Broadening some of our horizons

In that case, the best DBAs *I* ever encountered had one or more of these qualities/backgrounds:

shot a Viet Cong in the face during the Tet offensive

ram a ship for fun when serving in the Coast Guard

always carry a gun in the same pouch as rescue CDs

never eat yogurt without spilling on the keyboard

berate son's baseball coach in public because family comes first

never forget to drink on Mondays

hate anyone who's not adept with Unix

programs only in C and perl

get a PhD in linear algebra studying part time, DBA full time

take annual trip to Burning Man

There, that should broaden you further.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply