Does anyone have a good database schema to handle GEDCOM data?

• I'm starting a new genealogy project and need to be able to import and export GEDCOM. I'd like my database to "work well" with GEDCOM data. Do you have any suggestions as to what my database structure should look like? Thanks.

• I too want to get GEDCOM data into SQL. I get fustrated by genealogical programs inability to do mass data management that I know how to accomplish in SQL Server. I started this project about 8 months ago, writing a stored proc to convert the GEDCOM data that had been exported to CSV and then imported to temp work table. I quit that project and since removed the work. I am starting over today, using SQL 2008 R2 Express, and maybe SSIS package to import / export data.

Have you made any progress? Willing to share?

- Martin Graves

Georgia, USA

• Hello Martin,

My progress is slow so nothing to share at this point. I'm sure there is something out there we can leverage ... just need to keep looking, or if not, build it ourselves.

• The question is quite old now, but I just see it right now.

I was creating a schema a while ago which you could find in the attachment along with the DDL.

A front end in form of a web page would make perfect sense in order to allow collaboration. Then it would be necessary to add authorisation to edit / view each person. The import /export parser should support GEDCOM 5.5 only as the Gedcom XML (6.0) is nowhere supported. There ares some additions to GEDCOM 5.5 such as 5.5.1 and GEDCOM EL (extended locations).

Unfortunately I did not find the time to continue this project presently.

brgds

Philipp Post

• Philipp Post,

Excellant looking work. I've downloaded to local machine to see, use as a standard, etc. I'll post next chance I get on this project too.

MDG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply