Documenting DTS Packages

• Does anyone have advice concerning the documentation of DTS packages? Is there a third-party tool that does this...or that could be extended for this purpose?

It would be a great help to have the ability, for example, to quickly determine which packages contain any DML referencing a particular base table. It would be very nice to be able to generate, say, a Visio diagram of a package execution sequence with the SQL statements nicely formatted and attached to the associated Visio task shape etc.

(I still think that my ~50 package DTS application for migrating between two ERP applications was the best approach, but assessing revisions and communicating for peer review are difficult without lucid documentation that can, more or less, maintain itself.)

Thanks very much for any suggestions,

Layne Hansen

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• There are none that I know of. We developed a Word document that included information about each of the steps, inputs to the package (i.e. files), outputs from, etc. that worked really well. The goal was to put it into a database with some web reporting but haven't had the time to take it all the way yet.

Additionally, we would use the Text Annotations within the package that gave information about the steps as well as information about revision history. Made looking at the package fairly easy.

I know that is not an answer, but hope you can do something similar to help out in your situation.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply