Do i need to create Config Files for flat file and Excel File?

• I am working on converting DTS to SSIS packages. During the process i am creating configuration files in the package. Lets consider, if i have a package with a database, flat file and Excel File. Do i need to create the configuartion for flat file and excel file. For now, iam just creating configuration file only for database and all other packages were using same configuration file in it.

• Since it sounds like you are sharing config files I would create seperate files for those. If you don't then every package that runs that doesn't have those same connections will return a warning. I would also probably put those two in different files. About the only time I would put them together is if they are ALWAYS used together and they need to be managed together.

CEWII

• Since, i am sharing config files for database. Most of my packages has text files as destination output. Each text will have there own output path, so what is the point of creating configuration files for text files? Please Clarify? Thanks in Advance.

• If they have varying destination paths then no it wouldn't make sense. The config files are best for things that are static and need to change at the beginning of run-time. Things that change DURING the run need to be either calculated or read from some other source.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply