Distribution agent failure "'Setuser' permission denied in database"

• I have transactional replication setup between SQL 2000 and a SQL 2008 instance in a few locations, every thing works perfectly fine, except on one of the developers machines. For some reason on this one machine 2 of the publications fail with the message "'Setuser' permission denied in database db1" 2 other publications work fine. I scripted the publications that failed and set them up on a different box and pushed them to the same subscriber and it works fine, so its something on the distributer. I have gone through this database, and all the right users exist and they all seem to be in the right roles, with the right permissions and everything seems to be setup correctly, except that the Distribution Agent always fails. Distribution Agent runs under the same domain account. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling SQL if I can since other things run on this machine, but I need to get replication working.

• From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231403 - SETUSER permission is given only to members of the sysadmin role; this permission is not transferable.

I don't know why SETUSER is being invoked but it looks like it is being invoked from an account that does not have sysadmin role. Did you try putting the domain account the distribution agent runs under as a sysadmin (doesn't look like this will help as the same account works from other machines but it's worth a try to see what happens)?

Also - is there any extra information provided if you try to log the distribution agent output to a log file using the -Output switch?

• I don't know why SETUSER is being invoked but it looks like it is being invoked from an account that does not have sysadmin role. Did you try putting the domain account the distribution agent runs under as a sysadmin (doesn't look like this will help as the same account works from other machines but it's worth a try to see what happens)?

Also - is there any extra information provided if you try to log the distribution agent output to a log file using the -Output switch?

I did make sure that the accounts had the same privileges on both.

and if I run with -output

I get

GO

setuser

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

Last transaction timestamp: 0x0006828200000d35002200000000

Transaction seqno: 0x0006828200000d350022

Command Id: 10

Partial: 0

Type: 70

Command: [10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPDOWD.DB1: SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

exec sp_MSdefer_check @objname = N'BH_FieldMap', @objowner = N'BH1'[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPDOWD.DB1: drop procedure "BH1"."BH_SEL_PrivateLabelFieldMap"

[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPDOWD.DB1: CREATE PROCEDURE "BH1"."BH_SEL_PrivateLabelFieldMap"

( @entity varchar(100), @privateLabelID int)

AS

BEGIN

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED

SELECT columnName, display, editType, isRequired, isHidden, allowMultiple,

defaultValue, valueList, displayList, description, hint, limit, sortOrder, isDescending FROM BH_FieldMap

WHERE entity = @entity AND privateLabelID = @privateLabelID AND editType <> 'System' AND editType <> 'Custom Component'

ORDER BY sortOrder, fieldMapID

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ COMMITTED

END

[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPDOWD.db1: setuser

Agent message code 20046. SETUSER permission denied in database 'db1'.

[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPIMS9.distribution: {call sp_MSadd_distribution_history(18, 6, ?, ?, 0, 0, 0.00, 0x01, 1, ?, 7, 0x01, 0x01)}

Adding alert to msdb..sysreplicationalerts: ErrorId = 19,

Transaction Seqno = 0006828200000d35002200000000, Command ID = 7

Message: Replication-Replication Distribution Subsystem: agent JPIMS9-db1-BH_MASTER_Field-JPDOWD-18 failed. SETUSER permission denied in database 'db1'.[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPIMS9.distribution: {call sp_MSadd_repl_alert(3, 18, 19, 14151, ?, 7, N'JPIMS9', N'DB1', N'JPDOWD', N'DB1', ?)}

ErrorId = 19, SourceTypeId = 5

ErrorCode = '262'

ErrorText = 'SETUSER permission denied in database 'db1'.'

[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPIMS9.distribution: {call sp_MSadd_repl_error(19, 0, 5, ?, N'262', ?)}

Category:SQLSERVER

Source: JPDOWD

Number: 262

[10/7/2010 3:03:10 PM]JPDOWD.DB1: exec dbo.sp_MSupdatelastsyncinfo N'JPIMS9',N'DB1', N'BH_MASTER_FieldMaps', 0, 6, N'SETUSER permission denied in database ''DB1''.'

Disconnecting from Subscriber 'JPDOWD'

Disconnecting from Distributor 'JPIMS9'

Disconnecting from Distributor History 'JPIMS9'

Thats just the tail of the log, but that setuser at the top is the only place it shows up.

• Looks like you are replicating stored procedures (if I read the log properly) - do the stored procedures have SETUSER in them? Maybe if you don't replicate the particular procedure "BH1"."BH_SEL_PrivateLabelFieldMap" that seems to be having this issue and then see if it works? (yes - I'm down to wild guesses :blink: )

Also - did you try to add the domain account (i.e. the account that the distribution agent job runs under) into the sysadmin group (on the distributor and on the subscriber) and try? Just to rule out the possibility of this being related to the account belonging to the sysadmin group...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply