Distributer_admin account

• I have replication running on a server 2000 instance. It is configured for a "trusted" connection. I do not have4 the pasword for the Distributor_admin account and want to change it. I will use the SP provided for changing the password.

I have two co-workers that recommend NOT changing the password because since I don't know what the old one is if something were to break I wouldn't be able to restore the old password.

Questions:

What could break? How is the Distributor_admin account used? On what objects? Does this account get

Does the account on the subscriber instance get updated too when I change the password

If it is set up for a "trusted" connection, is the account even used?

Thanks....JC III

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Fear is a great demotivator.  I can't think of anything that will break that can't be fixed by entering the new password.  For example, if something has the old password cached and ceases working with the new password, just enter the new one...

I mean, what if something "broke" and now you don't have the old password?  Are your coworkers SQL people that they might have imput?  Or are they just saying "don't touch anything that you don't understand and isn't broken"

Actually, one more question... Are you supposed to have the password?  If you don't have it, does anyone?

• Thanks all for the replies....

I was finally able to track down someone who knew the password. Since I was able to ensure the password was complex I am postponing the change. My co-workers have the attitude that if it ain't broke don't fix it but they are contractors and don't have to follow procedures (password must be changed at least once per year).

Thanks again....JC III

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply