display row number like excel

• I thought for sure that SQL Server 2005 had a row count function that displays the row number for each row in a select statement.  Now I cannot find anything anywhere about it.  Am I nuts, or what?

• I didn't Google much on the subject, assuming that you probably did but I did rifle through BOL and came up empty (or nuts).

The best I could come up with was to create a temp table with an identity column and to insert the results of your select into it, thus populating the identity column with row numbers.

As in:

CREATE TABLE #Cl (

RowNum int IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

ClientID int ,

ClientName varchar(50) )

GO

insert into #Cl

select ClientID, ClientName from Client

select * from #Cl

I suspect there's a better way, though, so I shall wait to be enlightened.

• I figured it out:

SELECT CODE, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY 1 ORDER BY CODE) AS [ROWNUMBER] FROM D3CUSTOMERS

But I am glad to hear you didn't see it in BOL either.  At least I'm not going crazy.

Thanks,

Cindy

• But looks like I am. How on Earth did I miss it?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the solution.

• The new row numbering feature in SQL Server 2005 is very handy.  Just make sure that anyone who uses the data understands that it is only a row number and is not a distinct identifier.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• wouldn't every row number be distinct ?  

• The row number would be, but can in no way be tracked back to a certain record in the database.  i.e. it is in no way a primary key for the table.

• Yes, every number would be distinct within a given set of data, but a number does not "belong" to a particular row.  If you pull the same query later, the data rows will likely not have the same row ids as before.  May be a nonissue depending on your use of the data, but just be aware that it could cause confusion (I've seen it happen before).

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply