disk performance question

• I was wonder which RAID provides the best performance?

I was thinking it would be RAID 0, even though its not reliable but extremely fast I/O

do any agree?

• RAID 10 would have the best performance.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• oh ok

but I'm thinking if you only had to choose between 0, 1 or 5

• Strictly performance wise with all things being equal (i.e. controller, cache, #disk etc) I agree RAID 0 would be fastest, but wouldn't put anything valuable on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Hahn - MCSomething someday:-)
    Right way to ask for help!!
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    I post so I can see my avatar :hehe:
    I want a personal webpage 😎
    I want to win the lotto 😀
    I want a gf like Tiffa :w00t: Oh wait I'm married!:-D

• Between 0, 1, and 5, I would say 0 will write the fastest and 5 will read the fastest.

• markusstar (10/30/2012)

I was wonder which RAID provides the best performance?

I was thinking it would be RAID 0, even though its not reliable but extremely fast I/O

do any agree?

There are situations where say a RAID 10 or a RAID 5 might be faster than a RAID 0. You'd have to consider your cluster size, stripe size, size of data you're writing, number of threads available, random/sequential IO etc. Purely from a RAID perspective RAID 0 is fastest.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Hahn - MCSomething someday:-)
    Right way to ask for help!!
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    I post so I can see my avatar :hehe:
    I want a personal webpage 😎
    I want to win the lotto 😀
    I want a gf like Tiffa :w00t: Oh wait I'm married!:-D

• ok thank you everyone

• Here we use raid 5. its fast to read and write and has parity spread out through out the array. we also run with a hot spare so if a drive fails we have our hot spare that instantly gets added to the array. great for data redundancy against HDD failures. (we still take proper backups and move them off site). of the 3 we also run raid 5 because we only lose approx 1 drive of space for the array vs other raid types requiring more "wasted" space for data integrity.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply