Disk Defrag Tools on SQL Server system

• s43s (5/16/2008)

They do grow but we do shrink them.

Shrinking the database files is one of the worst things that you can do!

Read the following article for the details:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/2007/11/13/AutoshrinkTurnItOFF.aspx

[font="Arial Narrow"](PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.[/font]

• Actually using disk deframentor in Windows part of the maintance. I agree that you need to scheduled on windows level for once in a month.

As you are using disk deframentor manually, you have to have backup of you SQL Databases. Be in Safe side restrict all DB's in Single user mode (So no one can access the Database at particular time) and Stop all SQL releated services.

Once your disk deframention complet successfully on your machine(Server). You should have to do post checking activity.

1) Start all services related to SQL server.

2) Check the health of the SQL server.

3) Check all Data and log files manually on the server OS file level.

4) Make all DB's in normal mode(Note in Single user mode).

Manoj

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• actually sometimes the quickest way to defrag a mdf file is to detach the database and copy the file to another drive and back. In fact I just had this problem despite having 88% free space I couldn't defrag the drive.

You can still use w2k3 defrag with the databases on line.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Agree with colin Leversuch-Roberts, perfactly this is the other option as well.

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• Hi Folks,

SysInternals (Microsoft) has a tool called contig. Contig uses the inbuilt windows filesystem defrag engine, and can specify a drive, a folder, or individual files. And yes it is a commandline tool.

Unlike the builtin Windows Defragmenter applet, you can run multiple instances of contig at ones - okay if the underlying disks are different, but wouldn't make sense to be running two or more defrags on the same volume at once.

I haven't had any issues using it on a live filesystem, including databases.

Regards

David

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply