Discover DTS Packages touching specific DB

• Hey everyone,

This is my first project as being a Jr. DBA so if you guys can help me out I'll look golden.

We have a large project moving all of our existing 2000 DBs over to 2005. How to do the migration isn't an issue currently but what is a problem is discovering all the DTS packages that write/read/transform a specific database; we're doing the database moves one by one not completely server by server. If there was more documentation this wouldn't be an issue but considering there are hundreds of DBs to move investigating each package to see which effects the db in question isn't really an option.

Does anyone know of a free tool/process/ect that will make this less painful?

Thanks for any help,

Kraig Turner

• Not any software that I know of..

Only thing I could suggest maybe is to create a script to extract all DTS packages as VB files to a folder , then create a dts (ssis) package that loops and imports all the files into a simple table. With each row it inserts the file name into a 2nd column (which will also be the dts package name).

Then simply run a query to extract all items where %("Initial Catalog") = "%, and select the 2nd column with the imported file name and you have a simplistic view of which packages connect to which databases.

I have just tested this is its basic form and it would work, just the scripts to be written to automate it a bit more..!

Just found this http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Miscellaneous/31613/ not sure if thats of any help to

Oraculum

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply