Disaster Recovery Scenario Not Working Right

• Hi guys we are testing a total recovery of a Windows server from scratch using the following tools Cristie Bare Metal Recovery, Tivoli Storage Mgr, and Total Data Protection for SQL Server.  The CBMR tool restores the OS in conjunction with TSM, TSM restores the application files and data. Now we are at the point we need to restore our SQL server environment using TDP, but since we have no databases restored (including master and msdb), SQL server will not start therefore TDP will not work. 

What I need to know guys is what is the best means of recovering an SQL server environment to the point that I can load SQL server and then perform the restore using the TDP tool.  Does SQL server need to be re-installed or can I do this another way. Thanks.

Regards

Terry

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Forget TDP. Backup all your databases to disk and backup those to tape. Then you can restore the database directly. First install SQL, then restore the master, model, msdb databases, then the user databases.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I second what Nicholas said.  Third party solutions in this type of scenario are probably not a good idea.

Steve

• Thank you for the replies guys.  Ideally we were supposed to use the solution you described EM->San Disk->Tape, unfortunately someone did not provision the disk space (don't you just love how projects get designed).  Since we are "stuck" using TDP in this case, what would be the least destructive method of recovering the SQL server environment.  Would using REBUILDM to re-build master and msdb suffice or are there additional steps to be taken.

I am a newbie to SQL Server administration, and unfortunately this application system with an SQL2K back end is being managed by a group of developers who no less about SQL server admin then I do.  I am sure other people have gone through this type of re-build.  I just might need to re-post in the administration queue, if there are no other responses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply