Disable sql 2005 backup schedule

• I need to stop database daily backup as its eating up mu disk space.

Pls how can i go about it no maintence plan was configure initially

• I would recommend not to remove the back up.... If something happens you loose everything.

Maybe some has a Back Job set up. That is why Back up is being generated

-Roy

• i have a netbackup technology in place now thats doing the generally backup .

pls help am running out of space and need to either reschedule it or disable the backup.

Presently it runs FULL everyday.

• solution_developer (2/20/2009)

i have a netbackup technology in place now thats doing the generally backup .

pls help am running out of space and need to either reschedule it or disable the backup.

Is this a job that is scheduled? You can go to SQL Agent folder and expand Jobs folder and look for the job and disable it/delete the backup files but before doing this contact your business and get some written statement.

• If this is a standard sql job executing t-sql, you may want to convert this into a maintenance plan (this makes it easier to manage the backups), decide what your retention policy should be and add a maintenance cleanup task to remove old backups that fall outside your decided upon retention policy. You can do this from a standard sql job as well, but it takes quite a bit more effort if you aren't well versed with t-sql.

deleting the backup schedule all together is not a great option though because you will want to have at least some backups for disaster recovery.

• solution_developer (2/20/2009)

i have a netbackup technology in place now thats doing the generally backup .

Before disabling your backup, you should verify that your "netbackup" is working properly and that you can use it for recovery. Have you done a test restore from your "netbackup" to make sure it works ?

• Thanks to all for the help.

The scheduled job has been modified.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply