Differential backup failure

• We had a differential backup failure yesterday with Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

After a full back up last night the differential back up is running as normal without any problems today. I did some research and most of the articles pointed out that the differential backup must have failed if the internal status flag is not reset by the previous full back up.

Is there a way to check?

I am running the following query and cannot understand it.

select b.* from msdb.dbo.backupset b

inner join msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily f

on b.media_set_id = f.media_set_id

where b.backup_start_date >='12/06/2014'

and b.backup_finish_date < '12/07/2014'

and b.type = 'D'

I am assuming the full backup of the previous day did not reset the internal flag.

Thanks in advance.

• No, you can't reset that flag on your own. It's done by running a successful backup. The indications are not that the last backup didn't reset the flag, rather that another process did some sort of snapshot, affecting the backups such that the differential failed. I'd look through the system to identify if there are other processes running backups or snapshots on your database.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply