Different version of SQL Server when restoring master.

• Hi,

I am doing a DR test, and copied the S2k5 install and SP3 files from our exising prod server, and recreated a new instance on a new server. Then I copied the master backup file from the existing server to the new server. When I tried to restore the master, I received an error message that the versions of SQL Server where different (9.00.4035 v 9.00.4053).

My question is: How can the versions of SQL Server be different when I used the same install and SP files that I installed on the prod server only a few months ago? I know version 9.00.4053, which is on the new instance, includes a security update, but where would that update come from, given the files are exactly the same?

Thanks.

• ok...more info...

I installed another instance with the SP3, and it displayed version 9.0.4035, which is what I expected. Then I stopped the instance, started the master in single user mode - without even trying to restore the master - and the instance is displaying version 9.0.4053...

Anyone know what is happening?

I also cannot connect to the instance because I keep getting a message saying another administrator is already logged on, but I cannot find out what/who. I have rebooted the server and stopped ALL SQL Server services, issued the following command sqlservr.exe -sinstance_name -c -m

Then tried to open Management Studio and connect to instance_name and I get the error that only one administrator can be logged on.

• Did you try to connect using DAC?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189595.aspx

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • yes I did 🙂

But I can't restore a database using the DAC connection...

• Why do you want to restore mater DB? Script out logins and move them to new instance. Best practices is not to restore system databases.

Enjoy!

EnjoY!
  • Yes that is my first option.... 🙂

But this is a DR test, so I need to be able to restore the master database.

• Create another System admin login account and try to login with newly created login account, restore should work.

From BOL

SQL Server prohibits running parallel queries or commands with the DAC. For example, error 3637 is generated if you execute either of the following statements with the DAC:

RESTORE

BACKUP

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • The update from 9.0.4035 to 9.0.4053 was done through a windows update security patch. You can find more information at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• So does this windows security patch actually CHANGE the version of SQL Server? I thought you needed to specifically download and install the new Service Pack 3 which includes this security patch?

• Yes, the patch does update SQL Server and changes the version level.

Jeffrey Williams

• hmm...

Any idea why it only changed the SQL Server version AFTER I started the instance in Single User Mode? Because when I initially installed S2K5/SP3 and rebooted, it only showed version 9.0.4035.

• twm (2/17/2010)

hmm...

Any idea why it only changed the SQL Server version AFTER I started the instance in Single User Mode? Because when I initially installed S2K5/SP3 and rebooted, it only showed version 9.0.4035.

Coincidence? No idea, maybe windows update was running at the same time?

Jeffrey Williams

• unlikely.....as I tried it twice to make sure I wasn't going mad!!

thanks for your help anyways...

• Did you happen to copy/restore the system resource database at some point? If so, that would cause this kind of issue since that database has been upgraded - but the other databases have not.

Jeffrey Williams

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply