Differences between sql server 2008 and 2008 R2

• SQL 2008 R2 introduces support for Second Level Adderss Translation (SLAT). If you run it on Windows 2008 R2, you should see about a 5% performance improvement over running SQL 2008 on Windows 2008 on the same SLAT-capable hardware.

IMHO the big question is what is the difference between SQL 2008/2008R2 and SQL 2012. If you are into BI the difference is huge, particularly with data visualisation features that compare well with the best on the market.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• On top of my head, Microsoft has changed the Lock Manager hash key algorithm in SQL 2008 R2. Few other internal changes as well, but can't really recall them.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2010/01/18/improvement-in-minimizing-lockhash-key-collisions-in-sql-server-2008r2-and-its-impact-on-concurrency.aspx

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• Thanks.

• SQL Server 2008 R2 is the latest release of Microsoft SQL Server. The “R2” tag indicates this is an intermediate release of SQL Server and not a major revision. There are a number of compelling features in this version for both developers and DBAs alike. Here are the Top 10 new features in SQL Server 2008 R2:

1. Report Builder 3.0

2. SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

3. SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse

4. StreamInsight

5. Master Data Services

6. PowerPivot for SharePoint

7. Data-Tier Application

8. Unicode Compression

9. SQL Server Utility

10. Multi Server Dashboards

• Please note: 6 year old thread

Chandan.mssqldba (9/9/2016)

SQL Server 2008 R2 is the latest release of Microsoft SQL Server.

That was true 6 years ago, not now.

If you're going to copy-paste material, the professional behaviour is to cite your source and link back

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply