Difference between Restore and Restore with 'OverWrite'

• I was restoring a nightly backup for a application upgrade that failed and even after the restore of app server and db the application did not like the database.  I restored the database with 'Overwrite...' and the application was able to connect.

If the database had been updated then i restored a prior backup why would the restored application see the database as different?  Are there a database properties that do not get reset on restore?

thanks

• Do you have the respective RESTORE statements that you used?  If you restore with NORECOVERY, for example, you won't be able to access the database until you've recovered it.  If there are active transactions in the log and you don't use WITH REPLACE (overwrite), the restore will fail.  This is one of the reasons why I prefer T-SQL to using the GUI - you can always go back and see what you did.

John

• 'Overwrite' is not a T-SQL RESTORE option. Did you mean REPLACE, perhaps?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Sorry for being unclear.

I performed the restores using SSMS-GUI the 2nd restorei checked the 'Overwrite the existing database(with replace)'.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Daryl AZ.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply