Difference between a server in general and SQL server?

• Hi all,

I know it's too simple a question to be posted on this forum but I am new to the hardware side of the things. While doing the sizing and requirement analysis for implementing an ERP, I got totally confused with the definition of SQL server. It must be a combination of hardware and software. If I am going to install a complete new system for the ERP then what I am going to buy? Can I use the server for installing programs other than SQL server?

Thanks,

K

• SQL server is a software product whose primary function is to store and retrieve data as requested by other software applications, be it those on the same computer or those running on another computer across a network (including the Internet). There are at least a dozen different editions of Microsoft SQL Server aimed at different audiences and for different workloads (ranging from small applications that store and retrieve data on the same computer, to millions of users and computers that access huge amounts of data from the Internet at the same time).

• Thanks Padhis. And what is the hardware required for the software; can that hardware be used to install other applications - like SAP?

Regards,

K

• If you open up Book Online (the SQL help file) there's a lot of info on the hardware requirements. If you have no idea where to start (as it sounds), suggest to your bosses that they get a competent consultant in to advise them. Mess up on the hardware and you'll have problems for years.

Yes, SQL can share servers with other software, but it's generally not recommended and if you go that route you must understand how the various pieces of software behave and what resources they'll need and how they must be configured.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gila,

A very good reply. Yes I am new to the hardware side of things but I don't need to learn the whole stuff. Being a functional resource, I just need to be capable enough to understand what the consultants are talking about.

Thank you for the advice.

Regards,

K

• Just as a note, make sure you spec out the server for growth meaning don't short your self on spindles and ram you might need a year from now.

Never stop learning or you will be left behind.
  • Something that you may want to consider.

if you are just validating what a consultant is telling you then you are going to need many pieces of information. Database sizes, transactions, connections, applications, growth and so on....

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are wanting to validate what the consultants are telling you then I think you might find it a bit easier to get an additional resource than to try to come up to speed on a config recomendation. There are some databases, you could run on a laptop, there are some that could require the same budget that you would use to buy a house.

I agree with what has already been said, this is not something that you want to get wrong, I would ensure that you get more than you think you need, but then you have to ask the question of did your conslutant already figure that in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply