Dev/Test/Prod Scenario

• Hi All,

I am looking for a solution to have Development, Test and Production environment so that developer just have fully access to development, I have no idea about Test environment, For Production just Read/Write access for all users including developer should be available and any necessary changes in meta data and database design will be done by DBA.

So If you are using similar scenario Please let me know the detail.

Thanks in advance,

Sanaz.

• You haven't really asked a question here. What is the problem? Can you not just grant the rights you listed in each environment to the appropriate users/groups?

• I am asking how to implement Test server so that DBA can test scripts which are provided by developer before applying in Production Server. How to maintain this environment to have appropriate and reliable situation. Is there any standard mechanism or scenario which are used in enterprize?

• That's a big topic. I'd suggest you take a look at this book (it's a free download) on Team Development[/url] from Red Gate. I wrote the chapters on source control and deployment between environments. I think it answers a lot of your questions.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I'd agree with Grant. There are a variety of ways to do this, and no standard.

I've written about things here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/524/, http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/525/

• answer a question with a question i guess...

do you have deticated testers OR business analysis that require a TEST instance to actually test code in?

here is what we do;

DEV server is for the dev's. refreshed from PROD when devs ask for a refresh. Dev's have sysadmin rights there.

TEST server is for the BA's to test the changes pushed up from DEV. the Dev's and BA's have datareader / datawriter access only.

PROD is prod and used as such.

ALL schema changes are handled by the DBA. so i push from Dev to Test and from Test to Prod. No one else does that.

TEST is refreshed weekly from Prod. we push changes here once a week.

• Thank you very much

I am exactly looking for such information

• sani (12/7/2010)

Hi All,

For Production just Read/Write access for all users including developer should be available.

Is open Write access on a Production Box a little generous or am I just being paranoid?

• SequelSurfer (12/10/2010)

sani (12/7/2010)

Hi All,

For Production just Read/Write access for all users including developer should be available.

Is open Write access on a Production Box a little generous or am I just being paranoid?

Not at all. I prefer (I don't always get) to have all access through stored procs. No write privs to users whatsoever that way.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• sani (12/7/2010)

I am asking how to implement Test server so that DBA can test scripts which are provided by developer before applying in Production Server. How to maintain this environment to have appropriate and reliable situation. Is there any standard mechanism or scenario which are used in enterprize?

Let me summarize my guidelines for a proper UAT a.k.a. "Test" database in a three tier development model.

1- UAT has to be Production size.

2- UAT has to be refresh from Production in a regular basis.

3- DDL and Code Promotion must be done by DBA, DBA should save scripts and use exactly the same scripts when applying DDL or promoting code against production.

4- Developers should have in UAT exactly the same privs they have in Production, usually SELECT privs.

5- UAT may have a subset of production users authorized to access the environment - these are "test users" meaning that after refreshing UAT from Production you have to customize user access to match what's expected on UAT.

Hope this points your nose in the right direction 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • SequelSurfer (12/10/2010)

sani (12/7/2010)

Hi All,

It depends. write access (insert/update/delete), depends on the application. Developers may have just as much of a need for those rights as others. Think vacation scheduling, time tracking, tickets, etc. Those applications require change access.

HOWEVER, that is because of the application usage. Developers SHOULD NOT be able to change objects (tables, stored procedures, etc.) on production.

• Grant/PaulB/Steve,

Thanks for your replies.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/10/2010)Developers SHOULD NOT be able to change objects (tables, stored procedures, etc.) on production.

Agreed and, SHOULD NOT be able to change/create/drop objects in Test either - DBA should use for Production deployment exactly the same scripts used for Test deployment.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Grant Fritchey (12/8/2010)

That's a big topic. I'd suggest you take a look at this book (it's a free download) on Team Development[/url] from Red Gate. I wrote the chapters on source control and deployment between environments. I think it answers a lot of your questions.

Grant, thank you for this. I downloaded the ebook yesterday, and have been going through it thoroughly. We'll be making changes here based on your insights in Chapters 3 & 4.

Well done.

Steve

• SwayneBell (12/15/2010)

Grant Fritchey (12/8/2010)

That's a big topic. I'd suggest you take a look at this book (it's a free download) on Team Development[/url] from Red Gate. I wrote the chapters on source control and deployment between environments. I think it answers a lot of your questions.

Grant, thank you for this. I downloaded the ebook yesterday, and have been going through it thoroughly. We'll be making changes here based on your insights in Chapters 3 & 4.

Well done.

Steve

Wow! That's great to hear. Don't take any of it as gospel and if you have questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply