Develop web page with SQL elements

• Forgive my ignorance if this is an easy thing I'm just not finding.

I have been tasked with developing a page (potentially more) that uses SQL elements. In essence we want to have a place where a user can go and search for people with a certain skill. So we're thinking of using a small table with the employees and the various skills. For example, I want to see everyone in our company who has Excel skills. I would go to this page and choose Excel from the drop down list, it queries the tables and retrieves anyone who has Excel listed as a skill.

I can do SQL scripting ok, it's the development of the web page that'll stump me. I've been wanting to bolster my development skills for awhile now and this is the opportunity I need. Does anyone have any good recommendations on books or training materials where I can learn how to code a web page using elements of SQL?

The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

• Typically, you're talking about two different elements you're going to need to learn. You'll need your front end (which would be ASP, .NET, C#, PHP or any of a dozen other such languages), and your back end which would be SQL Server. To develop web applications, you'll need to use both.

Most of the above languages have minor advantages and disadvantages that can make them better or worse than the others for specific purposes. If you're going to use a .NET based platform, you can use Visual Studio to interface the two pretty handily. Check out w3schools.com for some information on the front end.

In the instance you are talking about, you'd have a front end form element with a dropdown to allow a user to select a skill, and then a stored procedure(you don't have to have a stored procedure, but I'd recommend it) on the back end to select the information out of your database and return it to the screen.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Thanks for the info. I actually attended the Ultimate Software conference this week and they're moving all of their software to .Net for our web interface. So I'm guessing that'll be the way to go. I got some suggestions from colleagues there on a path to learn .Net. Hopefully this dog isn't too old to learn new tricks.

• Personally I would go with traditional asp if its quite a lightweight page. Use something like Dreamweaver to create recordsets etc. Learning .net for such a simple page seems a bit extreme.

• Please also take a look at Hibernate. There are several tutorials on how to use it and it really aids in simplifying the GUI development.

Regards,

Terry

• True it will be lightweight, however we'll be getting into more custom development most likely with Ultipro and being that it's all standardizing on .Net it'll be helpful to know it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply