Determine if different components are installed

• Hi

This is really urgent. I have a Server which has SQL2K8 R2 running. It has several instances on it. I need to duplicate the same to another server. Here are my questions.

1. Can SSIS, SSAS, SSRS be installed for every instance or is it possible ONLY for default instance? If yes, how do I determine what components are installed for each server instance? (I am new to this, so step by step is appreciated).

2. While installing a server instance, what considerations do i have to have in installing each of this component to each of the instance?

3. Can I install the DB engine first and then go ahead and install other components (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS) at a later point?

Your earliest reply is so much appreciated.

Thanks.

• a good read of BOL , a training course or buying the admin companion might be useful! I also have to ask if you're actually the right person to be doing what you ask - bearing in mind what you're asking < grin >

You get one ssrs,ssis etc. per server install, so instances share, forget default this is the engine only.

Q1 -- once

Q2 -- n/a

Q3 -- yes

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I acknowledge your comments with grace and I do admit I am not perfect. I am more of a developer put into a sudden dba role and I dont do server installs day in and day out to know all the details and thus was the question posed.

We all learn everyday and I am sure at one point in your life you didnt know either.

Anyways, I do sincerely apprecite your reply/answer. Thanks.

• hi !!

the installation of sql server 2008, varies case by case!!! depends of your case!

if you want a default installation (n-n-f), then:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143219.aspx

this article is detailed, explain the parameters of installation, step by step!

what is your case? perfomance? bi?

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • I got my answer from SSCrazy. A sincere request is, could you please edit your post and remove my name? I really really would appreciate it.

Thanks.

• aMSDeveloper (6/2/2011)

I got my answer from SSCrazy. A sincere request is, could you please edit your post and remove my name? I really really would appreciate it.

Thanks.

edited!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply