Detecting Issues

• Sergiy - Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:23 AM

Gary Varga - Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:30 AM

Name the rate?
    The rate I am paid? No. That is not going to happen. It is client confidential for a start.
    The rate of decrease in defects? Sorry, I can't measure both what has and hasn't happened.
    The rate per defect or per defect not created? I don't get paid that way.

The rate you've paid for not fixing your software because you did not leave any issues in it.

Gary Varga - Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:30 AM

I disagree as I in my experience those that create loads of defects are often got rid of

Really?
    Actually, they form a support team, communicate with customers, run daily scrum meetings, measure average issue resolution time, report team members kpi upstairs, etc.
    Because if business will get rid of them then during several months while a new developer will dig through unmanageable code looking for errors the business will simply lose all clients and go down.

and those that produce less are kept

Kept for what exactly?
    If everything working fine and does not require daily attention from the IT guy, and it was thought through, so increased scale, new data would not cause any faults/issues - what to keep that employee for? Would any kind of stakeholders approve such an expense?
    I don't think so. They'll get rid of such a developer as soon as they sure the software does not have any serious issues.

My experience cannot be invalidated just because it differs from yours.

It sounds like you are suggesting that failed developers become project managers, support staff and project coordinators. Whilst I have seen that happen on occasion, these are professions in their own right and it is doing them a disservice to suggest otherwise. Though it may be the way it works in your experience.

Kept for what? Well let me be the first to congratulate you on finding the one place with a single piece of software where the feature set has been permanently fixed that meets all the business requirements past, present and future. Everywhere else I have been everyone is busy (often more work than capacity).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga - Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:55 AM

My experience cannot be invalidated just because it differs from yours.

It sounds like you are suggesting that failed developers become project managers, support staff and project coordinators. Whilst I have seen that happen on occasion, these are professions in their own right and it is doing them a disservice to suggest otherwise. Though it may be the way it works in your experience.

Kept for what? Well let me be the first to congratulate you on finding the one place with a single piece of software where the feature set has been permanently fixed that meets all the business requirements past, present and future. Everywhere else I have been everyone is busy (often more work than capacity).

Of course they are busy!

Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion

https://g.co/kgs/0II6f4

Read the book.
    You might start recognizing the patterns around you.
    🙂

• Fully aware of Parkinson's Law. Thanks.

Nice that you live in a static world. I am very jealous.

Gaz

• There is no such thing as "static world". Who told you such a nonsense?

• Sergiy - Friday, March 3, 2017 3:11 PM

There is no such thing as "static world". Who told you such a nonsense?

You did.

Gaz

• I surely did not.

It must be your too vivid imagination.

🙂

• Sergiy - Thursday, March 9, 2017 6:01 AM

I surely did not.It must be your too vivid imagination.:-)

If everything working fine and does not require daily attention from the IT guy, and it was thought through, so increased scale, new data would not cause any faults/issues - what to keep that employee for? Would any kind of stakeholders approve such an expense?
    I don't think so. They'll get rid of such a developer as soon as they sure the software does not have any serious issues...

You can only get rid of all the developers if there is nothing to change i.e. static. 🙂

Gaz

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply