Detect "(Select All)" parameter option in report

• I have a report with a multi-value parameter (list of products). What I would like to do is detect when a user chooses the "(Select All)" option.

I suppose I could somehow query the number of products in my query and then compare it to a count of the parameter values, but I thought there might be an easier solution.

I'm using Report Services 2005. Thanks for your time.

• Assuming your parameter is called "productID", you can set the value for the "Select All" option to something arbitrary that won't be a valid value normally like -1 and using IIF to check the value you then use one of two queries.

The first query as used below doesn't use the productID in the WHERE clause.

=IIf(Parameters!productID.Value = "-1", "SELECT...", "SELECT...WHERE...")

• What I came up with, and never have liked, was to create two additional parameters. The first identical to the multi-valued one the user sees. The defaults are set to ‘All’ using the same query ( or procedure ) that populates the list to begin with. A second hidden parameter ( bit ) is defaulted to 0 or 1 based on the following expression

=IIF(Parameters!UserPicked.Count = Parameters!All.Count,1,0).  Bad news is that if you install SP1 on your report server the 'Select All' check box disapears.  This leaves us with the option of adding ( unioning ) an 'All' option to the pick lists. 

Mike

• There's a pretty good walkthrough in the books online (Walkthrough - Using a Dynamic Query in a Report). Hope it helps

• I have similar problem

perhaps you can do as I do in data set property

SELECT     NULL AS Code, 'None' AS Description, 'None' AS Name

UNION

SELECT     Code, Description,Name

FROM         your table name or view

• This solution worked - Thanks!

Summed up as follows:

I have a multi-value parameter listing a list of products, named "products"

I created a second parameter named "all_products_count" that is set as multi-value and hidden, using the same query as "products"

Now I can figure out if the user choose all the products in the list:

Parameters!all_products_count.Count = total number of products available to user

Parameters!products.Count = number of products user chose from the list

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply