Deploy the Database First

• Hi,
    In my case, I deploy both: db changes and also code changes. To handle this, we schedule a fame window where the db and the app will not be accessible. We only deploy changes from monday to wednesday. This is to avoid the problem for an unexpected fail for a not tested scenario on production that can appear on weekends where it will be hard to solve.

Miguel.

• mig28mx - Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:31 PM

Hi,
    In my case, I deploy both: db changes and also code changes. To handle this, we schedule a fame window where the db and the app will not be accessible. We only deploy changes from monday to wednesday. This is to avoid the problem for an unexpected fail for a not tested scenario on production that can appear on weekends where it will be hard to solve.

Miguel.

We do the same (especially for large releases) and for the same reasons.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• It is a joy to review replies written four years ago on data and application technology. Mr. Poole was quite succinct in noting that a proper test rig ferrets out problems quickly and reliably over time. 

In a recent program with front end development for browser-based portals and a mobile app tied to databases for transactions, analyses, and archives, the current thinking is shared code and deployment with git, jenkins, and azure bits. Continual deployment following test approval was expected, and followed a defined set of features (and fixes) that had been discussed prior to development.

There is high value in focusing on processes at each stage of development. It isn't about the latest shiny tool, in a big picture. There are many combinations of tools that make the job so much easier than it was four years ago. The maturity of environments over that time has been valuable for small team developments, too. Has it had a hand in the growth of startup communities in all of the secondary and tertiary cities? 

Four years later, there are still situations that exist when we Deploy the Database First.

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply