Deleting a subscriber

• Hi,

I am new to Replication. I’ve managed to setup merged replication between two sites. With one site doing a push to the other.

I tried to stop replication, and I can disable replication on the publisher using the “Disable Publishing” command from the Menu, but how can I stop the Subscriber from thinking it’s being replicated, when it isn’t anymore.

Whilst we are on the subject, is this the best way of setting up replication, all I want is an exact copy of our database at a remote site. Both sites need to be able to do inserts etc.

Thank you for reading this!

• Hi,

try to delete all publications before 'diabling publishing' then it should work.

• Do you need to have all the changes made at the subscriber to be replicated to your publisher?

With merge replication, you will have the same db in both servers, even when both are making changes to the db.

But if you need to have the same db, and the subscriber to start only, then you could use once snapshot replication... or even restore the db and each subs.

• Yes, Updates, deletes, selects etc. need to be performed at both sites!

Is it still the best way?

quote:

Do you need to have all the changes made at the subscriber to be replicated to your publisher?

With merge replication, you will have the same db in both servers, even when both are making changes to the db.

But if you need to have the same db, and the subscriber to start only, then you could use once snapshot replication... or even restore the db and each subs.

• Thanks for you reply!!

That makes sence!! Is there a way to delete the Subscriber if the publisher has been disabled?

quote:

Hi,

try to delete all publications before 'diabling publishing' then it should work.

• Merge is best suited for a disconnected environment. If you use transactional replication, u have to use immediate updating subscriber if u want those changes to be reflected at the publisher. This uses MSDTC and 2 phase commit. If you have identities u will have a problem. At that point u have to use merge. If your tables do not have identities then u are good. Hope that helps. Also in merge u have to decide who wins in a conflict( we have it set to the default , which is publisher always wins)

-srini

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply