Delete to AS400 linked Server restricted by size

• We've been struggling here with our linked server connection to AS400. We're using  IBM iseries Client access on Windows 2000 to an AS400 V5.

Currently we can Update , Insert and select on the AS400 target table OK .

The delete problem symptoms are; if the table size exceeds approx 66K bytes we get an error ( invalid schema requirements) or some such. Less than that size and we can delete without complaint.

The code used is

"Delete * from aaaa.aaaa.library.tablename"

Any suggestions??

• One question:

were you able to execture SELECTs that return more than those 66k?

Cause I just posted a question that looks a lot like yours, only for SELECTs. Here is what I wrote:

I linked a DB2 database to my sql server with

sp_addlinkedserver 'srv1.MYDOMAIN.com', 'DB2', 'MSDASQL', null, null, 'DSN=srv1.MYDOMAIN.COM;UID=user1;PWD=mypass', null

after creating an ODBC entry called "srv1.MYDOMAIN.COM" with the Client Access ODBC Driver (32-bit) driver.

The thing is, when I run a query, it returns what I guess is a fixed quantity of bytes!!! For instance, I query a customers table that has 34031 rows and I only get the first 35 (customers 1 to 35). Then I say "ok, give me all rows but the ones for customer 1,2,3,4 and 5". The query returns again 35 rows, but in this case I get customers 6 to 41!!! 

I tried several variations of this and I confirmed it is a matter of quantity of information.

Has anyone fought with this before!?!?

Thanks!!

• I would  suggest that you check your client access configuration( or is it in ODBC??) under performance, turn off row blocking and maximize your blocking size.  as far as my problem goes yes I can select the entire table and pull it into SQL. Its only on a delete that I find this anomaly!!

• I think the asterisk is the problem. Try :

DELETE FROM <TABLE> where <conditions>

• David,

Don't hate me for this... but I'd like to enquire how you manage to insert?

I ahve the same config as you... but the only way I issue command is via the OpenQuery:

Select * from openQuery(IBMAS400, 'select * from  LIBRARY.TABLE')

When I check the table in the linked server, I find the following fields:

Name, Schema, Catalog, Type.  Name should be the table name while Schema is the library name... what's the Catalog and Type?  Somemore, the catalog is usually "*N" while the type is "USER".  Catch no ball. 

Hope you can help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply